It was in the fall of 1902, when
all that was called Woodcliff consisted of a few houses east of
what is now Broadway and 75th street. 75th Street was the
main thoroughfare and consisted of a dirt road.
Practically all of the property west of Hudson Avenue between
75th Street and the park was a wilderness. Woodcliff
Reformed Church, started out as a home ministry. Sunday
School was held for the first time in the cottage occupied by
Mr. Charles Rollins on what we believe is now 139-73rd Street.
After the numbers grew, Sunday School classes were moved the
Woodcliff Public School or what is now known as Robert Fulton.
|In the fall of
1903, excavation began for what is now the present site of our
church building. The original building consisted of the
main Sanctuary, boiler room and an auditorium under the
Sanctuary. The ground for the original portion of this
church was donated by Woodcliff Land & Improvement Company and
the building was erected by the State Baptist Association.
Woodcliff remained under the auspices of the Baptist association
until 1906 when Woodcliff became part of the Reformed Church in
America. At this point, Woodcliff became a chapel of the
Grove Reformed Church.
||In 1909, running short on funds
and realizing the new space for the Sunday School building
weren't big enough, several members and children from the church
worked with picks and shovels to excavate the area for the new
Sunday School building. In 1911, Woodcliff Reformed Church
became its own independent church organization. The first
week-night prayer meeting was held on January 23rd 1913.
In 1916, alterations and new construction were completed on the
"Church Hall" or Sunday School building. In 1919, our
organ was installed in memory of Joel Horton. In 1919, the
parsonage, or Pastors home, was completed.